Saturday, May 31, 2008

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Mike and Jason have been trying and trying to talk Lauren and I into going camping for over a year now. Unfortunetley it hasn't worked out, with me working Saturdays and everyone else Mondays there just wasn't time in the schedual. So of course when Memorial Day rolled around how could we say No. Well, this year the Mid West has had a trementdous amount of rain, nasty thunderstorms, and of course tornadoes "So (I said to myself) maybe not the year for sleeping in the outdoors". Against our better judgement Lauren and I agreed. I just kept telling myself,"When will me get another chance, there is only a 30% chance of rain...no big deal." We got our camp site set up, pulled everything out of our car, Mike and Jason got a roaring fire going, and Lauren and I made dinner. As we were wrapping up dinner Lauren and I heard a little rumble....I think you can see where I'm going...The rumble turned in to the biggest thunderstorm EVER!!! I mean it didn't help that we were sitting outside in the middle of it. It was raining so hard and the ground is already so saturated the water started pooling up all around us. After sitting in the storm for probably 30 min we decided to make a run for it! We grabbed the food left the tents and ran to the car. On our way home we passed a car that ran into a pool of water that had collected on the road, the water was up to the windshield!! Jason and Lauren ended up staying here for the night. We woke up the next morning and went back to get our tents and canopy. Well- the canopy was nowhere to be found, all that was left was the four poles that were holding it up.
Our tents were flooded....So never again will I go against my "better judgement"!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!


(my new cameras cool feature...)


R.I.P
Blue Canopy
May 26, 2008 - May 26, 2008

8 comments:

..................... said...

Lauren you cut up potatoes, jason and i made the dinner!!!!

Hollie Gordy said...

omg thats horrible!!! We went to my uncles cabin which is an hour away and that happened to us..only a 30% percent chance and it rained all weekend..

Andrea said...

So sad...poor canopy...suffering all alone in the rain! The dinner looked tasty though.

lizS said...

aww, that's too bad! camping is way fun! minus the rain of course...

Renae said...

That figures! I love camping. We are always saying that we should go more often. (Somehow, we never seem to get aroung to it.) Sorry you went on the worst night ever!

Bruce said...

we has a similar experiance with the scouts once. the diferance though was that we were in minnasota in the boundry waters area. 2 days paddeling from our car. i truly slept in a puddle...inside my tent.

Eyepoke said...

OI... Bruce.

I swear, she could have said:
"we were attacked by vampires and Mike had his hand bitten off and we only escaped because aleins abuducted us at the last moment"

and you would have said:
"That reminds me of the time I got attcked by vampires and aliens at the same time and my friend lost two hands and an eye, and we only escaped because it turns out I speak alien, having been raised by aliens when I was a baby."

jon and kir said...

My mom always said her idea of camping was sleeping at a motel 6! I would have to agree!!!